For its 17th edition, titled Sensing Nature, MOMENTA Biennale de l’image humbly urges us to consider environmental justice and its intersections with social justice as a matter of sensing and feeling as much as of analysis and grassroots activism. Although science is critically needed—not least to tackle the climate emergency—our planetary assembly of multiplicities also craves forms of knowing, feeling, and doing that create different arrangements of coexistence.
A longing for togetherness—for love—echoes insistently in the exhibitions and in this book, asking us to fathom other possible forms of worldmaking. The artists and authors invite us to forge intimate kinships with nonhuman life-worlds. They propose that we listen to—and observe, smell, touch, speak to—the land, the water, the air not with the aim of distantly understanding, grasping, or exploiting, but to resonate, to vibrate, to be together. Or, perhaps, with no aim at all. They make room for stories that dwell in the blurred boundaries between technology and ancestral wisdoms, weaving in both human and nonhuman modes of knowing. They celebrate that we are in relation with nature, that we are of nature.
Fully illustrated in color, the exhibition catalog includes three essays, artist texts and portfolios on each of the 51 artists participating in this edition.
You can order this publication online directly from our publisher in Germany, or get it from the MOMENTA office by making an appointment with us at firstname.lastname@example.org – Our hours of operation are usually Monday through Friday, from 9am to 5pm (payment by card only).
- Stefanie Hessler, in collaboration with Camille Georgeson-Usher, Maude Johnson and Himali Singh Soin
- Jen Bervin, Anne-Marie Dubois, Léuli Eshrāghi, Camille Georgeson-Usher, Stefanie Hessler, Maude Johnson, Alexis Rider, Julia Roberge Van Der Donckt, Silverbear, Himali Singh Soin, Joce TwoCrows Tremblay, T’uy’t’tanat-Cease Wyss
- Available in English and French
- Co-edited by MOMENTA / Kerber Verlag
- ISBN 978-2-9818147-4-6 (MOMENTA Biennale de l’image)
- 45 $ / 38 €
- Number of pages